Charity Rallies Messages

Register to our Forums

Questions about our rallies? Join our forums now - Join in seconds with Facebook or google login.

2018 Registration is now open. Sign up can be found here 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Patrick

German Vehicles - International Cert for Motor Vehicles, CPD etc

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

Hope I'm posting this in the most appropriate place!

Does anyone know how to, or if one can obtain the equivalent of an International Certificate for Motor Vehicles for a German registered and purchased in Germany?

As in the Germany equivalent of this: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/icmv.html

I see on the German automobile club ADAC it’s possible to get a Carnet e Passage;

http://www1.adac.de/ReiseService/tourset_reisefuehrer/tipps/Carnet_de_Passage/default.asp?ComponentID=79790&SourcePageID=115467

But I can’t see any info on anything like an International Certificate for Motor Vehicles.

I am presuming this document has to be obtained in the country where the vehicle is registered, and I presume the same is true of the CPD if necessary.

Our intention is to purchase a vehicle in Germany and keep it there until the Rally. Simply because I visit Germany often and have somewhere to keep the vehcile there.

Ryan already warned me of some potential pitfalls with taking a German registered vehicle as follows

“The problem the Germans had last year is that - in order to import a vehicle into Tajikistan, the authorities will keep these vehicle documents, whilst the German authorities require the documents in order to 'de-register' the vehicle. Obviously it is impossible for both governments to have the original documents!

Finally - one team tried to drive a German vehicle on the rally using 'export plates' last year - however they were turned back at the Russian and Ukrainian border.

So in summary, taking a German vehicle is a good idea, and very possible provided you are aware that upon arrival in Tajikistan the authorities will keep all the vehicle documents”

So it seems “Export Plates” are a bad idea, but equally just heading off down the road with the original documents is also going to result in a catch-22 with the German authorities once you leave the vehicle in Tajikistan. So, anyone know a way around this? J Or we simply give up and look for a LHD car in the UK?

Hi Patrick!

I was on the German team last year, and we were unable to solve the problem with the documents. They even kept the license plates.

All I could do was work out a workaround with the German transport authorities and my insurance company:

I don't pay tax or insurance anymore, but the car is still registered in my name here. So if anyone ever tries to register that chassis number anywhere in the EU again, I might find myself in a bit of a pickle.

On the positive side, this "no tax" solution was no hassle at all. I was able to work it out at the desk in the registration office without having to call any higher officials.