Charity Rallies Messages

Register to our Forums

Questions about our rallies? Join our forums now - Join in seconds with Facebook or google login.

2019 Registration is now open. Sign up can be found here

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
second_coming

Diesel or Petrol?

5 posts in this topic

Myself and a friend are thinking of signing up for next year, browsing ebay for vehicle ideas instead of revising, and were just wondering, what's better for the rally - petrol or diesel? Is one fuel more widely available than the other / have the Mongolian got a preference for what they'd like to receive?

petrol is the most used IMO

We came across some villages that had no diesel at all. But they were very remote villages, as long as you plan ahead then diesel is perfect.

I'm not sure about typical Mongolian winter temperatures, but if Russia is anything to go by then diesel is presumably quite likely to gel-up in winter, potentially rendering a diesel vehicle less-than-useful to the recipients for much of the year?

According to this website...

http://www.discovermongolia.mn/country/Climate.html

"Winter lasts from November to late April ... Average winter temperature: -20C (-13F)"

...so I'd guess that a petrol vehicle will be more useful to the Mongolians?

Andrew

I was in UB in January 2010 - it was very cold and certainly much colder than -20C. The warmest day of the ten we were there was -24C, but most days were -30C or colder. Minus 43C was the coldest

Attached files

For the actual journey, we took 4 jerry cans of UK diesel and didn't need to use because of lack of availability.