Charity Rallies Messages

Register to our Forums

Questions about our rallies? Join our forums now - Join in seconds with Facebook or google login.

2018 Registration is now open. Sign up can be found here 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dennzel

Budget?

9 posts in this topic

hey guys,

This is mostly aimed at all the rally vets' and organisers but I was just trying to get an idea of the kind of budget that is required for the trip? I mean with fuel, food, visas, etc. I was just wondering so i can have a target to aim far above (the excess going to chairty) for next years rally.

Thanks,

George

Hi George -

This link sets out the costs - I'm not sure anyone has a number per se, but perhaps other 2010 teams or even 2009 teams can let you know how much it costs! You can get a lot of your costs sponsored/covered if you're lucky!

http://mongolia.charityrallies.org/costs

Best regards,

Dave.

Thanks Dave,

Yeah I saw that i was just wondering about the other costs, so if anyone reading this has done the rally in the last few years please drop me a message or something! I would be very grateful.

i agree, visas, flights home, fuel and hotel costs then all your equipment... it can be around 3k each person.

We werent so tight when it came to hotels though.. we even spent one night in a 5 star hotel as we were so tired.. plan it right and get in to towns early enough to search for hotels and you can get resoable hotel costs.

through ukraine, russia and kaz can be hard to find hotels, even in cities. We were surpised about this.

We're all poor students! Lol, We're planning on camping most if not every night to cut down our costs, as well as this we're aiming at maybe getting the trans siberian railway back down to moscow to cut our costs further. Also, I have read that getting your visa's on route works out cheaper?! is this even remotely true?

Your visa costs will vary quite a lot depending on which route you choose -- if you go Russia (double entry), Kazakhstan, Mongolia it's much cheaper than taking in, say, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan etc. I'm afraid I can't help with any advice on getting visas during the trip, we got ours before we left. The trans-Siberian is a great trip -- first class (with a shared shower) is expensive, but second or even third class is much cheaper and you can, of course, get trains all the way back to the UK.

Visa's on route can work out cheaper for a few countries, yes.

As an example, the Azeri visa requires a letter of offer if you apply via the London embassy. The cheapest letter of offer was over a 100 quid. I got mine in the Tbilisi embassy (Georgia, about 70 km from the Azeri border) and no letter of offer was asked for. Can't vouch for other states obviously but with that experience I'd definitely give it a go, or try to ring these embassies ahead.

As of 2009 Trans Sib was £120 quid 2nd class/economy.

We camped at the side of the road most nights and only went indoors when it was ridiculously cheap (eg 30 quid 5-star Hotel with B&B in Almaty). The costs when on rally in running repairs, petrol and other random shit do seem to add up.

HI. I full agree with you.

rutherford

Visa's on route can work out cheaper for a few countries, yes.

As an example, the Azeri visa requires a letter of offer if you apply via the London embassy. The cheapest letter of offer was over a 100 quid. I got mine in the Tbilisi embassy (Georgia, about 70 km from the Azeri border) and no letter of offer was asked for. Can't vouch for other states obviously but with that experience I'd definitely give it a go, or try to ring these embassies ahead.

As of 2009 Trans Sib was £120 quid 2nd class/economy.

We camped at the side of the road most nights and only went indoors when it was ridiculously cheap (eg 30 quid 5-star Hotel with B&B in Almaty). The costs when on rally in running repairs, petrol and other random shit do seem to add up.