Charity Rallies Messages

Register to our Forums

Questions about our rallies? Join our forums now - Join in seconds with Facebook or google login.

2019 Registration is now open. Sign up can be found here

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dennzel

is 4x4 a must?

3 posts in this topic

While I can totally understand that 4x4 is a great advantage, is it an absolute must? I'm looking at taking a front line ambulance such as a Renault Master I have seen however I don't think it is 4wd.

Thanks guys!

George

You do not NEED 4 wheel drive on any of the routes. It is helpful if you are taking the Pamir highway and entering Mongolia through the western border and traveling the Ulangom route. The main need is ground clearance. Some Mongolian men were laughing at a heavily loaded econobox that was trying to go the northern Mongolian route. They were right, the car turned back withen 5 miles of Tsanagaar.

If you are going the Northern route (Ukraine-Russia-Northern Mongolia) you will not need 4 wheel drive or high clearance.

The pictures I have seen of a Renault Master look like it has very little ground clearance.

In 2009 the organizers were not allowing ambulances into the western border, not even 4X4 Ford F350 based ambulances.

We helped rescued a team who had a Renault Master ambulance in kaz

They have little ground clearance so must be careful.