Charity Rallies Messages

Register to our Forums

Questions about our rallies? Join our forums now - Join in seconds with Facebook or google login.

2019 Registration is now open. Sign up can be found here

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tonho51

Ambulance Rules

3 posts in this topic

Our team has decided to try as hard as possible to drive an ambulance for the 2013 edition of the rally. I seem to remember reading that the vehicle rules in regards to ambulances are slightly different from other vehicles. Is this correct? If so, what are the rules?
Also, have you got any tips / suggestions / contact to approach in regards to acquiring an ambulance? We are going in dark here, any guidance is welcomed!
Thanks,
Team Alpha Badger

We did the rally this summer in a Mitsubishi Delica ambulance. I don't know what the rules will be for 2013, but our vehicle was 16 years old with an engine size of 2800cc and it was tax exempt. I think if the ambulance is in good condition then the Mongolian customs chaps can be flexible on the 'fewer than 9 years old' rule. I don't know what the exact rules are, but that's just what we experienced.

We found our ambulance on eBay, and emailed the details to the GoHelp office so they could determine whether it would be tax exempt before we bought it. I've heard some teams have had old ambulances donated directly by NHS trusts, and there's an ex-military place near Grantham that sells off old MOD vehicles (when we looked round a year ago an old Renault Master was about £2,500).

Hope some of this has been helpful,

Tom

Hey Guys,

The ambulance rules will be out shortly, I think the Mongolia team are limiting the number of ambulances for 2013. If you want an advance preview, email migah@gohelp.org.uk

Cheers,

Dave.