Charity Rallies Messages

Register to our Forums

Questions about our rallies? Join our forums now - Join in seconds with Facebook or google login.

2018 Registration is now open. Sign up can be found here 

Adventure Steve

2016 Teams.. say hello!

21 posts in this topic

Are you entering the 2016 rally?

Introduce yourselves here, let us know your route (if you have one yet)

Maybe please to meet up with some other teams and share experiences on the rally!

Hello from Norway!

We are "Brothers to Mongoila". Ar you might  guess we are brothers, Vidar, age 54 when leaving Norway and Arne, age 56. We have experience in "rallying for the ROTW in 2013 when we brought an ambulance to Dushanbe. This time we plan to take a Mercedes Sprinter Ambulance through Sweden, Finland, Russia (perhaps Kazakstan) to Mongola. Due to family- and holidayreasons we have to start a bit early, about 20. of May. We plan to go as far north as possible. 

Beeing that old we are not the experts in using IT-equipment, but we struggle to keep up withe the youngsters!

Looking forward to start!

Vidars son has made our facebookgroup "brothers to mongolia". Please take a look!

Arne

1 person likes this

Welcome to Charity Rallies Arne!

I am also going to Mongolia with my brother this year too! 

Feel free to post any questions you may have on the forums :)

Thank you! Yes I have a problem setting up our fundraising page. We had one in 2013, but I think we have to set up a new one? And when signing in we did not finish the uploading of pictures an other details on the car. Bur now I can't find my way back, sorry! Can you help? 

It's hard getting old!

Arne

Hi Arne

Did you mean on the Team Application form? 

Yes, I am afraid I have some problems navigating on these new pages.

Arne

1 person likes this

Ok, I will ask Jo to email you, she deals with the teams directly to ensure everything is sorted. I will drop her an email and let her know you need help.

Thank you very much! Have a nice evening!

Arne

1 person likes this

Bonjour & hola !

I will be participating in the Mongolia Charity Rally this year with my boyfriend Antoni, as the 'Operation Gobi' team. We are an international team as he is from Majorca and I am from France !

It's our first time doing a rally, but I drove around Australia for almost 1 year a few years ago. I am looking forward to road trippin again, for a good cause this time. We will be taking the north route: Latvia, Russia, Kazakhstan & Mongolia. 

Hopefully we'll make friends in the process: on the road and amongst the teams. We are looking forward to exchange with you guys !

Our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/OperationGobiMongoliaCharityRally/

Our website: http://operationgobi.com/

Edited by Julienne - Operation Gobi
1 person likes this

Hi Julienne

Welcome to Charity Rallies! 

I am sure you will have the time of your life! It's an awesome adventure!

Feel free to ask any questions on our forums. Also our guides are here: https://issuu.com/charityrallies and you should be able to download a French copy too :)

Enjoy!

On 23.1.2016 at 7:15 PM, Forum Admin said:

Ok, I will ask Jo to email you, she deals with the teams directly to ensure everything is sorted. I will drop her an email and let her know you need help.

Hello again. Sorry to say, but I have not received anything from Jo yet. Do you know if she has tried to send me anything?

Arne

On 24.1.2016 at 9:48 PM, Julienne - Operation Gobi said:

Bonjour & hola !

I will be participating in the Mongolia Charity Rally this year with my boyfriend Antoni, as the 'Operation Gobi' team. We are an international team as he is from Majorca and I am from France !

It's our first time doing a rally, but I drove around Australia for almost 1 year a few years ago. I am looking forward to road trippin again, for a good cause this time. We will be taking the north route: Latvia, Russia, Kazakhstan & Mongolia. 

Hopefully we'll make friends in the process: on the road and amongst the teams. We are looking forward to exchange with you guys !

Our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/OperationGobiMongoliaCharityRally/

Our website: http://operationgobi.com/

Hello Julienne

My brother and I will go about the same route as you (Norway-Sweden-Finland-Russia-perhaps Kaz. and then Mongolia). We are going in may-june, that might be a bit early for arranging a teaparty somewhere in Russia?

Arne (from Norway)

(Brothers to Mongolia)

Hi everyone!

My name is Haven, I'm 50% of 'Team Hyperfocal Distance' (it's a camera term and we're both cameramen... it was funny at the time).

We have the added challenge that both of us can only get 3 weeks off work (I work in Hong Kong and Ian works in Ireland) so... no pressure!

Looking forward to meeting you all at some point!

1 person likes this

Hey Haven

Thanks for joining the forums. I would imagine you are going to film your adventure? Do you have a team website or FB page i could follow? 

What month are you looking to go? 

Howdy!

We're still working on our website but our FB page is facebook.com/hyperfocaldistance

We're planning to start at the launch in July in Brussels. Unfortunately because I am Hong Kong based currently, I won't be able to make any of the prior meet ups :(... saving all my leave for the trip ;)

Yes we will... also depends how many memory cards we can get hold of

Cool.. I have liked the page. 

The meetings are interesting and helpful. When I did the rally in 2009 I could not make the meetings, but everything went well. So don't worry too much if you miss them.

I am doing 2016 myself in June, I will share my page with you when i get it sorted. So you can get updates 1 month before you go from our team. I used to follow about 10 teams and made it really exciting as they were all having such as great time.

We've already got 2 go-pro's, Digital SLR , camera mounts and also phantom quad-copter for the desert driving ariel shots.

Hope to give filming a go even if I am an amateur, it's so vital to capture as much of the trip as possible. All the reason I am doing it this year, I was very disappointed i did not capture enough in 2009, especially video. Missed so many exciting times.

So we are buying quite a lot of memory in all forms and back up's. 

Also, try and find mcdonalds on-route (research them) as they offer free wi-fi where you can send updates easily, and allows you to spend time in comfort telling your friends and family about your adventure.

McDonalds is a good shout! Didn't think of that.

We were thinking about the phantom but were worried about the border crossings and what they may say about it (especially in Russia).

to be honest, if the back looks like a mess, and lots of stuff they normally cannot be bothered to look through it. they take a few things out then give up. They just send a dog in to sniff about. 

Just dont have that camera stuff on show. 

We have done some research on it and I know some teams have taken one, have not heard of any problems.

As far as I know it aint illegal

Hi Guys,

Our team for the rally is called Aussie Wombats - quite clearly from Australia. The rally has been on our 'to do" list now for seven years... so lets hope things start to fall into place.

Still working on our route though at this point in time tempted to take a more northerly route - going through Ukraine to Crimea, then over the top of the Caspian Sea - from there south to Turkmenistan.

Is there anyone out there with some guidance on where to get the maps - both paper and electronic?

Unfortunately after three months of asking, we still don't have approval on the car.... and have subsequently missed three months of fundraising.

I am guessing that living so far away from the epicenter of activity, its natural to feel a sense of disconnection from the processes.

Hi mate

As for mapping you need to use a company like Stanfords

http://www.stanfords.co.uk

They will have all the mapping you need. The Mongolia maps are ok for basic guidance, but most of the time you just follow tracks as maps wont make much sense.

In regards to your car approval, do you mean you have emailed in asking for a vehicle type to be approved? I may be able help and ask Jo to sort this out for you. 

What vehicle are you looking to get? ( i cannot get approval for you, not my dept. but i can push this forward for you)

cheers

Steve